Wednesday 14 August 2013

#Quick Crafty Makes 6 - Machine Embroidery - Stag Beetle

beetle machine embroidery

 
After four weeks summer holiday it's back to work for me, the summer has been great, we've been so busy and done so much.  Now that time is going to be limited I thought I'd russel up a last minute craft project.  I saw this stag beetle template in issue 28 of Mollie Makes, I thought it'd be perfect for some free motion machine embroidery.  For tips on how to do this please take a look at a previous post I've written on the subject.
 
I thought this would look good on the wall in a vintage frame or even left in the embroidery hoop,  alternatively you could use this idea as a decoration for numerous items such as a motif on a cushion or bag.  I'd like to sew some other insects and make a small collection of six legged mini beasts to adorn my walls.
 
For this one I've traced, using a pencil, on to some calico and placed the fabric into an embroidery hoop and off I went!  You can find you own motif to trace in many places such as in books, the internet or use fabrics and wallpapers as inspiration.  I also like the idea of sewing some insects in neon brights onto a grey toned fabric, i think this could look great.  Machine embroidery is so quick to do and gives immediate satisfying results and this technique is very forgiving if a mistake it made, it's ok for it to look a bit naive or rough and ready.

 
beetle machine embroidery

beetle machine embroidery
 
 
 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...