Wednesday 3 July 2013

Homemade Fishcakes With Homemade Sweet Chilli Sauce




I've been making fish cakes for years and generally just throw a hotchpotch of ingredients together, sometimes they're Asian inspired, other times hearty and homely.  This evening I made fish cakes for dinner and had run out of sweet chilli sauce, after looking for a recipe on the Internet I came across this one, it was so easy to make I'd recommend trying it out yourself.  It took less than 20 minutes to cook and had a great balance of heat, sweet, sour and salt.  I've also added my basic fish cake recipe for your perusal, the two together are a winning combination.

Ingredients

Makes 8 small cakes or 4 large

4 medium potatoes
400g fish of your choice (I used a mix of salmon, smoked haddock and cod)
Zest of one lemon
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 egg
1 tbsp plain flour

Method

  1. Peel, chop and boil your potatoes, once cooked set aside to cool.
  2. Gently poach your fish until cooked remove skin and bones once cooled and flake (I poach my fish in milk).
  3. Roughly mash your potatoes, add your flaked fish, lemon zest, chopped parsley, egg and plain flour and mix together well.
  4. Cover the mixture with cling film and place in the fridge for at least an hour before cooking, this will firm up the mixture and make it easier to mould into fish cake patties.
  5. Once ready, heat some oil in a pan.  Whilst the oils heating up take a lemon sized amount of the mixture and shape in to a burger shaped patty, coat in plain flour and put in the hot oil.  Repeat until all the mixture is cooked.
  6. Serve with sweet chilli sauce and wedges of lime.


I hope you enjoy!


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to give these a go I think they'd be great with yummy hot chips to fight off winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmmm, homemade chunky chips with tartar sauce. Xxx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...